Fire, Smoke and Soot Restoration
SERVPRO of Newport News Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Fire Damage and Smoke Damage
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Newport News Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Newport News will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today -757-244-8467
Putting out a fire can be worse than the fire itself....
Fire damage in a business can be stressful for owners, property managers, employees, and tenants. Property damage, equipment damage, document loss and temporary business closure are just some of the concerns you may experience.
- Here is what you can do until help arrives:
- Limit movement in the facility to prevent soot particles from spreading and additional damage from occurring.
- Place clean towels or old lines on rugs and high traffic areas.
- Coat chrome faucets, trim and appliance with petroleum jelly or oil.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between office furniture legs and wet carpets.
- Wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Shampoo carpet or upholstery.
- Clean any electrical equipment.
- Send clothing to dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Give SERVPRO of Newport News a call at 757-244-8467. we are always available 24/7, 365 days a year!
Fire Damage Tips
Here are some emergency fire damage tips to keep in mind...
- Keep hands clean
- Limit movement in the home to prevent further damage
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old lines on carpeted traffic area to prevent more soiling
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refigerator and prop doors open
- Wipe soot from chrome on faucets and appliances then protect with a light coating of lubricant
- Do not attemp to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of Newport News
- Do not attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO of Newport News
- Do not attemp to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire or whater without consulting a repair service
Give us a call at 757-244-8467 whenever you are in need
Smoke Damage Can Occur After Any Fire
Smoke damage is physical damage that is caused from the smoke created by a fire, but not the fire itself. More damage is caused by smoke than by the actual flames. Quick action is the only way to minimize the destruction. Within hours after a fire all surfaces begin to suffer from fire and smoke damage.
- Wooden furniture may require refinishing
- Metal begins to rust, pit, and corrode
- Painted walls begin turning yellow
- Clothing can become permanently stained
- Flooring may require refinishing or replacement
It left untreated, within weeks the restoration process will take longer and cost more.
The structure may continue decorating if not property restored by professionals.
Professionals like SERVPRO of Newport News being only a call away at 757-244-8467. Were here to make it seem "Like it never even happened."
Firework Fire Prevention
HAPPY NEW YEAR
New Year’s Eve is a wonderful time to celebrate the start of a new year. Fireworks are always a fun way to celebrate, and also very common. However, If they are not used correctly things can turn out bad...
In 2013, fireworks caused an estimated of 15,600 reported fires in the Unites States.
If you due choose to set fireworks off on your own, here are some tips to prevent a firework fire from happening:
- Never allow children to handle fireworks
- Dispose of spent product by wetting it down and placing it in a metal trash can away from any building until the following day
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully
- Light fireworks one at a time, and then move back quickly
- Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying them
- Read and follow all warnings and instructions
- Wear eye protection
If anything you can always call SERVPRO of Newport News at 757-244-8467
SERVPRO of Newport News wish you a safe and Happy New Year!