Recent Fire Damage Posts
Fire Escape Plan
Give us a call at 757-244-8467!
Have you ever thought what would happen if a fire were to happen? What stairwell will you use? What emergency exit will you go to? Do you know where to meet the others so you know everyone is out? Having a fire escape plan before the fire can help keep everything organized when the fire does occur. You should also practice a fire escape plan at least twice a year so every employee knows exactly what to do. Here are a few steps to do when trying to figure out your plan.
- Visualize multiple situations that might occur: Ask yourself. Where might the fire occur? How and where would they start? What if this happens? Make sure you are always prepared for every situation that may occur.
- Establish roles and responsibilities: When a fire emerges and your business must evacuate, employees will look to their leaders for reassurance and guidance. Create a clear chain of command with backups that states who has the authority to order an evacuation. Knowing who to go to helps ensure no one is stuck inside
- Plan and map routes: Once your people are out of the building, where do they go?
Designate an assembly area for employees to gather. Someone should be at the assembly area collecting a head count and providing updates.
- Know your tools and inspect them: always test fire alarms, emergency lighting, fire doors, and escape ladders. Also make sure every employee knows where the fire extinguisher is.
- Rehearse fire evacuation: Having your employees know what to do during a fire helps the process go smoothly so there's not so much chaos when the fire does occur.
Here at SERVPRO of Newport News we are ready to help with any damage that may occur due to a fire. Give us a call at 757-244-8467!
Fire, Smoke and Soot Restoration
Give us a call at 757-244-8467
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Newport News Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Here are a couple smoke and soot facts:
-Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
-Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
-The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Now, there is also different types of smoke.
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Newport News will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today -757-244-8467
How To Prevent A Fire
Give us a call at 757-244-8467
Here in Newport News we get jobs for fire damage quite regularly. We want to help people in the community stop creating fires by just a few tips. Anything flammable can create a fire so quickly, and fire can spread faster than you think. A simple candle being lit can make you and your family lose everything. Here are a few tips from us here at SERVPRO of Newport News.
- Test your smoke alarms regularly
The easiest way to prevent a fire is by testing your fire alarms weekly, most fires spread faster when no one is alerted to know a fire has begun.
- Inspect all your heating sources
If your heating sources aren't working correctly it could trigger a fire. You should have them checked out by a professional annually.
- Keep your stove and oven clean
Cleaning leftover food that spilled onto the burner can get too hot and cause a fire. But it's not only food that can create a fire. It's also if a curtain is too long and touches the burner, or if a kitchen towel gets too hot.
A fire can occur in just seconds, always watch the food you are cooking. If for some reason you need to leave the room, have someone watch over the food for you.
When doing laundry, always make sure to clean out the lint vent as this is one of the ways most homes catch on fire. No matter the hurry, always clean and check behind the dryer as lint can be behind or around the dryer
- Properly Store Flammable Items
Household cleaners and common cosmetic items like hairspray and shaving cream can be hazardous. If they are exposed to a large heat source, they can combust
- Practice Caution with Candles
Everyone loves scented candles especially during the holidays. Always make sure to put out the candle before you leave the room, if you are going to bed make sure the candle is off. An unattended candle can cause a fire quickly.
Here at SERVPRO of Newport News we are here if you experience fire damage. Our phone number is 757-244-8467 and we are open 24/7, 365 days a year.
Putting out a fire can be worse than the fire itself
Fire Damage Tips You Can Do Until Help Arrives
Fire damage in a business can be stressful for owners, property managers, employees, and tenants. Property damage, equipment damage, document loss and temporary business closure are just some of the concerns you may experience.
- Here is what you can do until help arrives:
- Limit movement in the facility to prevent soot particles from spreading and additional damage from occurring.
- Place clean towels or old lines on rugs and high traffic areas.
- Coat chrome faucets, trim and appliance with petroleum jelly or oil.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between office furniture legs and wet carpets.
- Wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Shampoo carpet or upholstery.
- Clean any electrical equipment.
- Send clothing to dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Give SERVPRO of Newport News a call at 757-244-8467. we are always available 24/7, 365 days a year!
Fire Damage Tips
Here Are Some Emergency Fire Damage Tips
Here are some emergency fire damage tips to keep in mind...
- Keep hands clean
- Limit movement in the home to prevent further damage
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old lines on carpeted traffic area to prevent more soiling
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open
- Wipe soot from chrome on faucets and appliances then protect with a light coating of lubricant
- Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of Newport News
- Do not attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO of Newport News
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire or water without consulting a repair service
Give us a call at 757-244-8467 we are available 24/7
Prepare your family for a house fire
Tips on how to prepare your family for a house fire
A house fire can be frightening and preparing your family ahead of time can ensure everyone gets out safely. Take a few minutes to review the tips below and go over them with your family.
You should first ensure that your entire family knows what to do in case of a fire in your home. Make an escape plan and practice it several times per year with your family. Make sure your family members know not to put their lives in danger to save possessions, but instead go the way out that is most direct. If you must exit through smoke, know to drop down under it and try to cover your mouth to keep from breathing smoke indirectly. If a door is hot to the touch, do not open it or go through it.
Stop, Drop, Roll
Everyone should know how to do this if fire catches on your clothes. Drop to the ground right away, cross your hands over your chest, and roll forward and back until you smother the flames completely. Cool the area that is burned with water and call for medical attention right away for serious burns.
A workshop, fireplace, and kitchen should have fire extinguishers nearby. Every family member should know how to use it properly. Extinguishers need to be regularly recharged, inspected or replaced as necessary.
A small kitchen fire can be put out by suffocating the fire by putting a lid on the pan, turning the stove off and letting the pan sit unmoved until the flames are smothered. Extinguish small grease fires by putting baking soda on them, but do not ever use water.
SERVPRO of Newport News is available to help you clean up fire damage at any time. We know how important it is to act quickly, the sooner you call us (757) 244-8467, the sooner we can stop further damage from soot and smoke.
Firework Fire Prevention
HAPPY NEW YEAR
New Year’s Eve is a wonderful time to celebrate the start of a new year. Fireworks are always a fun way to celebrate, and also very common. However, If they are not used correctly things can turn out bad...
In 2013, fireworks caused an estimated of 15,600 reported fires in the Unites States.
If you due choose to set fireworks off on your own, here are some tips to prevent a firework fire from happening:
- Never allow children to handle fireworks
- Dispose of spent product by wetting it down and placing it in a metal trash can away from any building until the following day
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully
- Light fireworks one at a time, and then move back quickly
- Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying them
- Read and follow all warnings and instructions
- Wear eye protection
If anything you can always call SERVPRO of Newport News at 757-244-8467
SERVPRO of Newport News wish you a safe and Happy New Year!