Flood Prevention Strategies
Flooding is one of the most destructive natural hazards, and here at SERVPRO we are ready to be faster to any disaster. SERVPRO has mobilization trams across the country to travel as needed to support large storm events. Flash flooding is the most hazardous weather disaster in the United States. Floods cause power outages, damage infrastructure, trigger landslides, and can be deadly. Here are some tips you can keep in mind before the flood.
- Avoid building in a floodplain—an area especially prone to flooding during heavy rains.
- If you do live in a floodplain, consider buying flood insurance to help with losses if, and when, a flood occurs.
- Construct barriers (levees, beams, floodwalls) to stop flood water from entering your home. Sandbags can provide a temporary levee in an emergency.
- Seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds to avoid seepage.
- Pay attention to weather forecasts. When heavy rain or storms are forecasted, listen to the radio or television for information on flooding risk.
Here at SERVPRO of Newport News, we are able to help with any storm damage. Give us a call at 757-244-8467