If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (757) 244-8467

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How To Prevent A Fire

7/13/2020 (Permalink)

Here in Newport News we get jobs for fire damage quite regularly. We want to help people in the community stop creating fires by just a few tips. Anything flammable can create a fire so quickly, and fire can spread faster than you think. A simple candle being lit can make you and your family lose everything. Here are a few tips from us here at SERVPRO of Newport News.

  • Test your smoke alarms regularly

The easiest way to prevent a fire is by testing your fire alarms weekly, most fires spread faster when no one is alerted to know a fire has begun. 

  • Inspect all your heating sources

If your heating sources aren't working correctly it could trigger a fire. You should have them checked out by a professional annually. 

  • Keep your stove and oven clean

Cleaning leftover food that spilled onto the burner can get too hot and cause a fire. But it's not only food that can create a fire. It's also if a curtain is too long and touches the burner, or if a kitchen towel gets too hot.

  • Don't leave your kitchen

A fire can occur in just seconds, always watch the food you are cooking. If for some reason you need to leave the room, have someone watch over the food for you.

  • Always check your dryer

When doing laundry, always make sure to clean out the lint vent as this is one of the ways most homes catch on fire. No matter the hurry, always clean and check behind the dryer as lint can be behind or around the dryer

  • Properly Store Flammable Items

Household cleaners and common cosmetic items like hairspray and shaving cream can be hazardous. If they are exposed to a large heat source, they can combust

  • Practice Caution with Candles

Everyone loves scented candles especially during the holidays. Always make sure to put out the candle before you leave the room, if you are going to bed make sure the candle is off. An unattended candle can cause a fire quickly.

Here at SERVPRO of Newport News we are here if you experience fire damage. Our phone number is 757-244-8467 and we are open 24/7, 365 days a year. 

Other News

View Recent Posts